Guidelines for the 2021 Virtual Competition, Application Due Date, March 1, 2021
To enter the 2021 Virtual Competition, please follow the guidelines below. ALL ENTRANTS MUST COMPLY WITH ALL RULES. For the sake of fairness, we will unfortunately find it necessary to disqualify any entries that do not comply fully with all rules below.
- A $15 application fee is required to compete. See mdrs.org for payment information. Fees are non-refundable.
- You must be a member of MDRS to enter the competition. If you are not already a member of MDRS, you must become one by registering online at mdrs.org and paying the $15 student membership fee, separate from your application fee. Fees are non-refundable.
- The Competition has two separate divisions. They are the High School and Collegiate divisions.
- Entrants in the High School Division must be enrolled in grades 9 through 12 and must reside in the United States. Students in the High School Division are to prepare a video of approximately 7 minutes in length that includes one or more movements from a sonata, concerto or similar piece. The performance must be UNACCOMPANIED.
- The age limit for the Collegiate Division is 24. Entrants in the Collegiate Division must not have reached their 25th birthday by March 1, 2021 and must be enrolled in an undergraduate or master’s program in the United States. Students in the Collegiate Division are to prepare a video of approximately 15-minutes in length that includes 3 selections that can be movements from sonatas, concerti or similar pieces. Complete movements must be performed however, performers are permitted to make cuts in tutti interludes to facilitate the 15-minute time limit. The performance must be UNACCOMPANIED.
- All entries must be VIDEO recordings. No audio-only recordings will be accepted. Videos must provide a clear and unobstructed view of the performers. Performers’ fingers and face must be clearly visible. Use one camera only. Videos with multiple camera angles will be disqualified. The audio must not be enhanced in any way. The video and audio should remain entirely unedited. In order to most closely correlate with a live performance, the video must run from beginning to end without stopping. You may not stop the video between pieces or movements.
- Performances must be UNACCOMPANIED. Works may be chosen from both unaccompanied/solo and accompanied repertoire. Video submissions with accompaniment will be immediately disqualified.
- Performances must be recent. Only recordings made on or after January 1, 2021 will be accepted.
- Videos may not be edited other than trimming the beginning and end of the video. Performances must be recorded live, in real time and in one take to emulate a live performance. Any evidence of editing will result in the immediate disqualification of the contestant.
- No reverb or other audio processing can be added to your video to enhance your sound.
- The first-place winner of the Collegiate Division will be ineligible from competing for one year. The winner of the High School Division may compete in the Collegiate Division when they are age eligible regardless of placement in the High School Division.
- Judges will be evaluating recordings based on performers’ expression, technical accuracy, intonation, tone and stylistic correctness.
- To enter, follow these steps:
Step 1 – Become an MDRS member if you aren’t already.
Step 2 – Prepare your video following the guidelines above and upload your video to Youtube. Be sure to make your video “unlisted” (not private or public.)
Step 3 – Complete the entry form below between Jan 1 and March 1.
Please do not submit your application prior to Jan 1.
Already registered but want to pay online? Checkout on PayPal: